Trainee Cook – Closing: March 17, 2020 at 5pm.
POSITION: Trainee Cook
SHIFT: 10am to 6pm
Na-Me-Res (Native Men’s Residence) located in Toronto, is a diverse, multi-service organization. Through a culture-based approach that addresses the holistic needs of its clients, Na-Me-Res’ mission is to provide temporary, transitional and permanent housing to Indigenous men experiencing homelessness in Toronto, while providing outreach and support services to the broader Indigenous homeless population.
The Trainee Cook is responsible for assisting the cook to provide nutritious and well-balanced meals to residents.
LEARNING ACTIVITIES WILL INCLUDE PARTICIPATING IN:
- Prepares and cooks complete meals according to the Canadian Food guide for residents;
- Ensures meals are prepared on time;
- Maintains the cleanliness of kitchen and dining facilities to ensure health standards are met;
- Ensures sanitation and safety procedures are adhered to;
- Maintains equipment used in food preparation;
- Stores food properly and safely;
- Prepares meals for community feasts and other activities;
- portions food and clean-up of kitchen facilities;
- Other related duties as required
- Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions of the cook
- Cook a variety of foods in large quantities from scratch, utilizing standardized recipes;
- Read, write, and understand written and oral instructions;
- Assist in operating commercial cooking equipment such as stoves, cookers, ovens and fryers
- Proficient interpersonal relations and communicative skills;
- Attend training related to kitchen and work environment;
- Able to work co-operatively
- Position requires heavy lifting; storing boxes and moving large containers
- Must be able to lift and carry food supplies for storage
- Ability to interact positively with homeless people from diverse racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge of Native traditions and culture is an asset
- Eligible to register with Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training
- Good attendance is a must
Na-Me-Res encourages Indigenous applicants (First Nation, Métis, Inuit). We thank all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you are invited to an interview and require accommodation, we will make every effort to accommodate you.
Wage: $18.00 per hour
CLOSING DATE: March 17, 2020 at 5pm.
(Hand delivered applications will not be accepted)
A resume and cover letter can be emailed, mailed, or faxed to:
26 Vaughan Road, Toronto, ON M6G 2C4
Fax #: (416) 652-3138 / Email: email@example.com
ABORIGINAL EMPLOYMENT AND