Full Time Cook – Emergency Shelter – Closing: February 4, 2019 at 5pm.
POSITION: Full Time Cook
LOCATION: Men’s Shelter
HOURS: 10am – 6pm
Na-Me-Res (Native Men’s Residence), located in Toronto, is a diverse, multi-service organization. Our Mission Statement is: Through a culture-based approach that addresses the holistic needs of its clients, Na-Me-Res’ (Native Men’s Residence) mission is to provide temporary, transitional and permanent housing to Aboriginal men experiencing homelessness in Toronto, while providing outreach and support services to the broader Aboriginal Homeless population.
The Cook is responsible for providing nutritious and well-balanced meals to residents.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares and cooks complete dinner meals according to the Canadian Food guide for residents;
- Ensures meals are prepared on time;
- Maintains the cleanliness of kitchen and dining facilities to ensure health standards are met;
- Ensures sanitation and safety procedures are adhered to;
- Maintains equipment used in food preparation;
- Stores food properly and safely;
- Prepares meals for community feasts and other activities;
- Supervises residents in portioning food, set-up of dining room, and clean-up of kitchen facilities;
- Other related duties as identified and required
- Knowledge of dietary guidelines;
- Cook a variety of foods in large quantities from scratch, utilizing standardized recipes;
- Read, write, and understand written and oral instructions;
- Familiarity with the use and care of kitchen equipment and supplies;
- Must be able to lift and carry food supplies for storage;
- Proficient interpersonal relations and communicative skills;
- Attend training related to kitchen and work environment;
- Able to work co-operatively
- Position requires heavy lifting; storing boxes and moving large containers
- Able to work on short notice and on weekends
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of a program in cooking and several years of commercial cooking experience required
- Demonstrated experience with large meal planning and large quantity cooking
- Criminal record check, current up to date Food Handler’s Certificate, and references required
- Experience of working in the non-profit/charitable sector;
- An understanding of the issues affecting homeless people;
- Ability to interact positively with homeless people from diverse racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge of Native traditions and culture is an asset
Na-Me-Res encourages applications from all qualified persons. We thank all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Wage: $18.50 / Hour
(Hand delivered resumes will not be accepted, please no phone calls)
CLOSING DATE: February 4, 2019 at 5pm.
A resume, cover letter with position title and references can be sent to:
26 Vaughan Road, Toronto, ON M6G 2C4
Fax #: (416) 652-3138 / Email: email@example.com