COVID 19 Outreach Worker – Auduzhe Mino Nesewinong Closing July 22, 2021 at 12noon
POSITION: COVID 19 Outreach Worker
SHIFT: Monday to Friday 8am-4pm
SALARY: $26.31 – $34.21 hourly
Location: Indigenous COVID-19 Testing Site, 22 Vaughan Road /City of Toronto
Na-Me-Res (Native Men’s Residence) located in Toronto, is a diverse, multi-service organization. Through a culture-based approach that addresses the holistic needs of its clients, Na-Me-Res’ mission is to provide temporary, transitional and permanent housing to Indigenous men experiencing homelessness in Toronto, while providing outreach and support services to the broader Indigenous homeless population.
MAIN FUNCTION: The Indigenous COVID Outreach Worker position is intended to support the on-site team at Auduzhe Mino Nesewinong the Indigenous specific COVID testing and vaccination center in creating a welcoming, supportive and culturally safe space for Indigenous clients, and to develop and provide supports.
The Auduzhe Mino Nesewinong projects use Indigenous community driven processes to address gaps in health and public health services and information for impacted FNIM by COVID-19. This includes responding to unmet health and social needs; support in access to COVID-19 prevention strategies, testing, isolation, and care; and gathering information about COVID-19 testing, exposures, risks and protective factors.
Working under the guidance and direction of the Research Project Manager, the COVID-19 Outreach Worker will be responsible for activities involved in the delivery of the We Count COVID-19 project. These include: outreach to FNIM who are at risk of, have had, or do have COVID-19; assessment of and referrals for immediate unmet health and social needs; counselling on COVID-19 prevention, testing, and quarantine; testing referrals; support during isolation; gathering of testing and exposure information; and follow up with contacts. This will be done alongside community efforts to improve Indigenous community access to testing, isolation, and services.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the COVID-19 Outreach Worker will identify and respond to Indigenous people in Toronto impacted by COVID-19. This role will include:
- Community outreach to identify FNIM peoples at risk of or who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 via word of mouth; interagency referrals; project phoneline; and street outreach.
- Assessment of and response to unmet health and social needs identified by project participants
- Referrals and COVID-19 care navigation
- Collection of COVID-19 reporting information
- Follow-up with participants and contacts of newly diagnosed participants
- College certificate, undergraduate degree in relevant health or social services field or equivalent relevant lived or work experience
- Demonstrated and exceptional ability to engage and build relationships with diversity of FNIM individuals and agencies in a respectful and strength-based manner
- Minimum of 1 year of previous experience of outreach or community service work in an Indigenous community context
- Able to handle confidential information with discretion
- Able to complete required reports, including computer data entry
- Lived experience with be considered an assess (i.e., recovered COVID-19 patient)
- Experience with trauma-informed care; able to communicate with clients in a professional, empathetic and culturally safe manner
- Experience with Indigenous community-based service and/or research models, experience in dealing with or knowledge of the Indigenous health, and experience with Indigenous community dissemination strategies;
- Strong communication (verbal/written) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple tasks in a timely manner and flexibility to adapt to changing workload
- COVID-19 contract tracing training/certification an asset
We encourage Indigenous applications (First Nation, Métis, Inuit). We thank all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you are invited to an interview and require accommodation, we will make every effort to accommodate you.
Closing Date: July 22, 2021 at 12noon
A resume, cover letter, and references can be sent to:
Human Resources 26 Vaughan Road, Toronto, ON M6G 2C4
Fax # (416) 652-3138 / Email: email@example.com